SPEAK TO US: (+91) 74282 90708
Leverage Business & Corporate Laws to Gain Strategic & Competitive Advantages
About IIM Calcutta
Established in 1961, Indian Institute of Management Calcutta is one of Asia Pacific region's premier business schools and amongst the top 3 business schools in India. IIM Calcutta is the first triple accredited management school from India and one amongst 86 such business schools globally to have accreditation from Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), EFMD Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) and Association of MBAs (AMBA).
Law is regarded as ‘the last great untapped source of competitive
advantage’. But traditionally, the legal and regulatory environment is viewed as an ‘impediment
to growth’ or constraint in doing business. With strong and updated legal expertise,
organisations can strategize effectively, create competitive advantages and reduce any financial
Keeping this in mind, IIM Calcutta has designed the Executive Programme in Business and Corporate Laws for working professionals who have an active interest in understanding the legal aspects of business, especially in today’s dynamic times. The programme shall address the different facets of business and its operation including strategic understanding of the legal environment to improve a firm’s competitive advantage, leveraging regulatory framework in designing strategies to differentiate in a dynamic and disruptive environment, minimize organizational and financial risks and other aspects. Having a reasonable understanding of the regulatory framework will help the manager/executive in designing the strategies and counter strategies for competitive advantage.
Who is it For
- The programme has been designed keeping in mind the learning requirements of professionals from diverse industry sectors.
- Corporate managers, management consultants, entrepreneurs, corporate secretarial and legal professionals, risk management professionals, corporate planning and strategy professionals, legal counsels, qualified lawyers, CA & CS professionals will benefit greatly from this programme.
WATCH PROGRAMME AV
WHY YOU SHOULD PURSUE THIS PROGRAMME
The EPBCL programme would help build capabilities and competencies towards:
How will this programme help you
By pursuing this program you can expect to -
- Formulate strategic decisions effectively
- Leverage toolkits to take informed decisions
- Devise corporate strategies without legal loopholes and implications
- Upgrade your knowledge with the latest and important developments
Regulatory framework of corporate governance, evolving ESG considerations, Role of SEBI and various SEBI committees on corporate governance.
- Corporate restructuring through mergers, de-merger, reverse merger
- Role of NCLT in Merger
- Acquisition of shares in listed companies and Take Over Code
- Direct and In-direct acquisitions
- Acquisition of businesses/ assets (Slump sale)
- Joint Ventures – Company Law Issues
- Joint Ventures – Contractual Issues
Regulatory framework of fund raising
- Public Offers and Private Placements
- Special Purpose Acquisition Companies
- FEMA and Foreign Investment
- Investments under Portfolio Investment Scheme
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code: Salient features of Introduction to Corporate Insolvency Resolution Process (CIRP) along with important case studies
The participants will be familiarized with the legal framework for national and international framework for effective dispute resolution.
- Dispute resolution through Arbitration, conciliation and mediation - rules and procedures, Arbitration institutions, arbitration award and its challenge
- Dispute resolution in international trade- WTO DSU/FTA Dispute Settlement Clause
- Investment dispute resolution – Investment arbitration/ICSID
- Case studies
The legal framework for of Intellectual Property Protection will be covered.
- TRIPS Agreement
- Patent law: fundamentals, patentability conditions, patent infringement, patent licensing,
- Trademark: law and eligibility for trademark registration, trademark infringement, assignment and licensing of trademarks,
- Copyright: economic and moral rights, infringement of copyright, fair dealing defenses, Trade-secret protection
The legal framework of corporate liability for products and services offered to the public and the consumer protection and competition framework will be covered.
- Corporate liability for Tort and Crime
- Unfair Trade Practices (UTP) – fraud and misrepresentation
- Restrictive Trade Practices (RTP) – anti-competitive agreements and practices
- Defective goods and deficient services
- Ambush marketing, tele-marketing, sms
- Data protection and privacy
- Competition Act 2002: Abuse of Dominant Position; Non-Compete Agreements; Combinations
Focus would be on regulatory framework for international trade for goods and services and investment.;the legal framework provided under the WTO rules governing all business activities in goods and services, including, but not limited to the regulation of tariffs and non-tariff barriers during entry and exist of goods and services, unfair trade practice, subsidies, health and product safety, safeguards, remedies and the progressive liberalization of market.
- WTO – basics principles and exceptions
- Trade remedies – anti-dumping – subsidies - safeguards
- Technical barriers and sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS and TBT) measures (standardization, quality control, packing)
- Trade in services
- WTO Plus agreements - Free Trade Agreements/Regional Trade Agreements
- Investment Law (FET, MFN, Expropriation); India Modal BIT
- Case studies
- Note: The Modules/ topics are indicative and the suggested sequence may be modified /adapted by the Programme Directors to suit the total programme hours.
Prof. R. Rajesh Babu
Dr. R. Rajesh Babu is a Professor of Public Policy and Management at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta and is also a Member of the Board of Governors of IIMC. He has obtained his Ph.D. in International Law from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. He has over two decades of experience in industry and academia. He has been a post-doctoral scholar in-residence at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID), Geneva; a Fellow at the Centre for Studies and Research, Hague Academy of International Law; and Visiting Fellow at Hamburg University. He has served as Senior Legal Officer (2002-2009) in Asian-African Legal Consultative Organization (AALCO), New Delhi an intergovernmental organization (IGO). He also practiced law at the High Court and the subordinate courts briefly. He is a regular contributor to international journals, magazines and books.
PROF. V.K. Unni
Dr.V.K.Unni is a Professor of Public Policy and Management at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta and teaches at the doctoral and post graduate levels. He is a corporate lawyer by training and has obtained his Ph.D. in Intellectual Property Law, Banking & Finance Law from National Academy of Legal Studies & Research (NALSAR) University, Hyderabad. He has also taught at NALSAR previously. His career in academia spans nearly two decades. He was the first Indian IP academician to receive the prestigious Thomas Edison Innovation Fellowship in 2016, awarded by the Center for Protection of Intellectual Property (CPIP), Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University, Virginia, USA. He was Awarded Max Planck India Fellowship for the term 2008-11 by Max Planck Society, Germany - and was the first and only awardee from the field of Law. He has been a Scholar in Residence at the University of California Davis School of Law (UCLA), awarded in 2011. He has also taught at NALSAR. He is a regular contributor to international journals, magazines as well as books.
Working managers / self employed with an experience profile of two years or more, who are at least graduates (10+2+3) in any discipline with 50% marks. Importance will also be given to tapplicant’s background and motivation based on the application form submitted. Professionals with higher experience profile would also benefit from the programme.
The pedagogy is highly interactive with a judicious blend of theory & practical inputs, case studies, assignments & campus visit. The lectures will be enriched with corporate examples and general discussions.
PROGRAMME DELIVERY & CAMPUS IMMERSION
Live and interactive classroom sessions will be delivered through Direct to Device (D2D) Mode. Participants are expected to login from their home or office using reliable internet connectivity. There will be a 3 day workshop at IIM Calcutta Campus during the end of the programme subject to government and institute guidelines related to the pandemic. In case the campus module is not organized by IIMC owing to pandemic restrictions, the campus sessions would be conducted through online mode as per schedule decided by IIM Calcutta.
Note for Campus Module:
Participants will have the option of making their own stay arrangements during the campus module. They will be required to select this option at the time of registering for the programme.. No changes will be allowed later. The campus visit fee for participants staying off campus during the campus modules will be INR 5,000/- per day plus GST. Total Amount to be paid: Rs. 15,000+GST. There will be a cap of 75 for residential seats during the campus visit. The first 75 candidates who opt for campus accommodation will be granted for in-campus stay.
Examinations / evaluations shall be conducted by IIMC. Evaluation may include written tests, assignments, online examinations and presentations as announced during the programme.
Candidates will successfully complete the program if they have received Poor grades in not more than two courses. Successful candidates will receive a Certificate of Successful Completion from IIM Calcutta. Those with requisite participation but unable to complete successfully will receive a Certificate of Participation. It will be mandatory for participants to attend the campus visit for successful completion of the programme. The campus visits will be conducted subject to the evolving pandemic situation and will depend on government and institute guidelines related to the pandemic.
*Note: Certificate image is for reference purpose only and may change at the discretion of IIMC LDP Office.
PROGRAMME DURATION & SESSION TIMINGS
Programme Duration 6 Months.
Live and interactive classes will be held on Sundays (10.30 AM to 1.30 PM) and Select Fridays (6.30 PM to 9.30 PM).
Last date to apply: October 30,2021
Programme Commencement Date: December, 2021
FEE PAYMENT PLAN
|Application Fee (Non refundable):||INR 2,500 + GST|
|Programme fees:||INR 2,00,000 + GST|
|Campus Visit fees:||INR 24,000 + GST|
|Total fees: (Excluding Application Fee)||INR 2,24,000 + GST|
|Installment No.||I||II||III||IV (Campus)|
|Date||Within 10 days of
issuance of offer letter
|Feb 15, 2022||Apr 14, 2022||45 days before
*Note: GST currently applicable at 18%.
- All payments in favor of Unified Collaboration Services LLP (VCNow). All fees including application fee is non-refundable.
- GST is currently applicable at 18%. Any additional payment due to change in any of the applicable Govt taxes during the tenure of the program will have to be borne by the participants.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants may apply online through the below provided online application link. The application must be complete in all respects including remittance of application fees, uploading of academic and experience related documents and submission of Statement of Purpose (SOP) & Profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered for further processing. In case of any assistance during the application process, please reach out to our Academic Advisors.